Sunday, April 08, 2007

A little Trivia
















Okay, here is a little game to play. You are not allowed to use Google, or ask any of your co-workers, friends or family! Only respond if you have a good answer for this question or a reasonable educated guess (or you just want to say something funny)!

If Easter is about Jesus and the Resurrection, where did the Easter "bunny" and coloring eggs come in to the picture?!?

We had a big discussion at work the other day, and I was just wondering if anyone has thought about this before. The reason I said not to use google is because first of all there isn't that much solid info out there about it (I already googled it) and it still doesn't make sense to me! I guess it just goes back to Santa Claus...

This was the only decent thing I could find online, among all of the weird ideas that people had! (But don't look until after your take your guess!)

Anyways, HAPPY EASTER TO EVERYONE!! Enjoy your chocolate!

3 comments:

~Seth and Nancy~ said...

seth and i were JUST talking about this the other day...our pastor was saying how he doesn't like to refer to the holiday as "easter", but Resurrection Sunday. "Easter" comes from the pagan holiday "Ishtar" (not sure how it's spelled), the celebration of the spring solstice and the eggs have something to do with fertility i think. When one of the Roman emperors, Constantine (I think), became a Christian he changed the pagan holidays into Christian ones....He changed Easter so it would be a time to remember Christ's death (and more importantly His resurrection).
The same thing happened with Christmas & Halloween...Halloween was the celebration of the fall solstice and was changed to "All Saints day" (nov. 1) to remember those who had died for the Christian faith. At least that's how i'm remembering things...i'll have to check online now!

Erin Moore said...

Bravo Nancy! I don't know if it's correct, but it sure sounds like you know what you're talking about!! (You are correct about All Saints Day - I did my homework on that one when I learned that some Christians don't celebrate it)

The term "holiday" is really a distortion of the term "holy day". So, basically all of our Holidays as we know them, started out as holy days.

As for the chocolate, I don't know where it came from, but I'm glad it's part of my celebration of Christ's resurrection! Hooray!!!

Kristy & John said...

That's funny because my co-workers in the UK refer to "vacations" as "holidays"
Just like Madonna's song