Monday, March 24, 2008

Is Blogging Safe?

Recently it has been brought to my attention that some people who hardly ever read my blog are concerned about the safety of it. Among some of the security features on my blog, one is called a Sitemeter. This allows me to tell who was on my blog, how often they check it and how long they stay on my page. So I know.... (hee hee)!

I would like to hear from my fellow "bloggers" what they think about this. Do you think my blog is safe, and what would you consider not safe to have on a blog?

This seems to be a controversial issue - especially with the commercials on TV with the safety of MySpace pages, personal websites and blogs. I think that I have put a lot of work into my blog and it allows my friends and family who I am unable to speak to as often as I would like a chance to see what is going on with us. Most people I talk to think it is a great thing, and they wish they had the time and talent to be able to put together a blog - in which I ususally respond with how easy it is!! I believe that people overreact to things - for one reason or another. I think that applying for credit cards, your doctor's office using your SS# as a reference number, and online banking can also be dangerous - but who is refraining from participating in those things???

If someone wants to "steal your identity" or "rob your house" they are going to do it if you have a blog or not.

I would love to hear back from everyone about this!!

3 comments:

~Seth and Nancy~ said...

i'm torn on the topic...i try to keep everything to first names. i know some people that use different names for their kids. if we had kids i might go to the invite-only blog...

Kristy & John said...

Nancy - just wondering - what do you think the safety issue is of using a child's name on the blog? I sort of agree about the "invite-only" thing for having a blog with kids. Although I (and all of us are) guilty of posting pictures of other people or other people's kids on our blogs.

Erin Moore said...

Not sure I understand the risks? I guess someone could easily stalk you if you blog, but we're really not that interesting. I would think that a stalker would rather track a celebrity.

Obviously I share the kids photos online, but I don't see the risk. I'm not sure what the risk is about pictures of your kids on a blog? If someone knows, please explain it to me so that I can be warned.

If the fear is kidnapping - I think most kidnappers are opportunists - they see a kid alone and they nab him/her.

The only real "precaution" I take is that I don't advertise when I travel (until I return home). However, now that I'm using twitter, people know my every move.